Yesterday I was enjoying a wonderful lunch of Mac and Cheese (with peas) with Thomas, a dear friend and her son. Dreyton was surprising his mom by how much he ate and Thomas like always was devouring his meal by rotating between a spoon in one hand and the free hand scooping in any that fell off the spoon. I am sure that we were having wonderful conversation although right now I can't recall what we were discussing. As we were enjoying our goopy cheesy mixture we heard a knock at the door.
I opened it not expecting anyone in particular, but to my SURPRISE I saw a friend from my apartment complex standing there with a plate full of banana muffins. On the top of one of the muffins was a candle that she had lit at her apartment and protected all the way over to my apartment, even while it was snowing outside. As I took in this glorious sight she yelled HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I got so excited that for a minute I thought it might of been my birthday, but then I came to my senses and realized it definitely was not. You see my birthday is in October. I invited her in and THANKED her for her sincere kindness and gently tried to break the news that it wasn't actually my birthday. I was quite hesitant to do this not only because I was afraid to embarrass her but I really wanted to keep the muffins and I was afraid she would take them away from me, the non-birthday girl.
She looked confused and said that she ha read in the ward bulletin that Sadie Jo Boring's birthday was on January 26th and she asked if it was the 26th? I told her that it was the 26th but that my name is Sadie Packer. She felt embarrassed and told me she was sorry a few times.
I was actually really excited because it was such an UNEXPECTED SURPRISE that made my day so special, even more special then if it really had been my birthday. It was such a sincere and genuine act of friendship that it made me want to look for others birthdays and UNEXPECTEDLY SURPRISE them. It made me laugh out loud, even to myself, at least 10 times the rest of the day. Plus it made my birthday last all year long and I think that is the way it should be anyway.
Thank you Mana for your example of goodness and your delightful UNEXPECTED SURPRISE!





3 comments:
MANA?! Is she..Japanese (I think?) It sounds like this really sweet girl that I was in a bunch of classes and toddler lab with oh...3 years ago! I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but she wasn't married back then. How funny! I'm sure she wouldn't remember me so don't ask her, but if you get the chance sneak a picture of her and send it my way! :)(just kidding about the picture )
What a fun surprise, I too wish my birthday could happen more then once a year. I am always amazed at how thoughtful people are, what a great example!
That's awesome! I believe that Mana was my roommate at one point. (I say may, because there may be more than one Mana's out there) But it does sound like something my old roommate would have done!! How fun! She is a great person and always trying to make people smile!
Post a Comment