(Packer family reunion 2010)
It is 3:11 a.m. right now and 79 degrees in our house. It is finally starting to cool off.
Tonight everyone in the family is sleeping restlessly.
We had a busy and tiring summer day. Why aren't we all knocked out?
We had cousins that came to visit. We went swimming and practiced our diving. Checked out the Gossner and Peppridge Farm factories. We had our naps interrupted by the fire alarm going off. We saw the campus and ate Aggie ice cream. Then we finished off the evening up Green Canyon with a fire to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. We watched the sunset and
We had the perfect summer day. The kind where you are exhausted but loved every minute of it.
Still tonight everyone is sleeping restlessly.
I am on the couch with Thomas as he doses back off to sleep.
Our neighbors just pulled in with their bass pumping in their big truck. (oh the joys of apartments)
I am watching Thomas rub the corners of his blanket for comfort.
The muscles in his body just tightened and relaxed... meaning that just like his dad... he is asleep.
I am watching as his hands slowly relax away from the corners and he drifts off to dreamland.
His dream must be a good one because he keeps smiling. I pray he doesn't have scary dreams yet. He is too little for monsters and bad guys. Too little to know of fear and horror.
I am listening to him snore... in his deep breathing sort of way.
Even if I am restless I am enjoying my time just being with him. So peaceful. It has given me time to think about just how lucky I am. Lucky to be his mother. Lucky to put salve (it really is a word I promise... but for all of you who don't know what I mean... Neosporin is a pretty common term) on his scraped up knees. Lucky to laugh at his growing sense of humor. Lucky to get an occasional snuggle from him. Lucky to get hugs and the best kisses ever. Lucky to tickle his legs as he falls asleep at night. Lucky to be humbled and to learn and grow with him. Lucky to hear him sing "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam." Lucky to play football, to wear helmets and even skateboard with all day long. The energy he has! LUCKY I tell you. LUCKY.
Perhaps I feel so LUCKY tonight because of this tragic story. My heart goes out to them during this time of need. I don't want to even imagine going through something this tragic. I don't think I could be as strong.
Tonight I have a prayer in my heart for them and I continue to feel LUCKY for things that are important. Things that make me LOVE. Things that make me SMILE. Things that are ETERNAL. Things that make me feel LUCKY.




7 comments:
you're a lucky girl, and I am grateful for you.
As I was reading it, I was like...I wonder if she is feeling a little sentimental because of..........and you were. I have been feeling the same way too. But we are all LUCKY to have each other forever, even if we can't have each other now.
Love you
Sadie, you are a good writer, and a good mom. I hope I can be a mom someday, a good one, like you.
Oh man, I am so sorry you had a hard time sleeping last night! You were so tired. We had such a fun time with you guys yesterday. As we were leaving Becky's the kids said, "Can we go see Dan and Sadie one more time before we leave?"
Also, it's tragedies like those that make you really realize what you have and be grateful for it. Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye.
We love you guys and feel LUCKY to have you in our lives.
...SO with you on that. Preslee's special little life and Pat and Ashley's trial put everything into perspective really quickly... Hope you guys are doing good- feeling well. Let's do something soon with our little families
Thanks so much Sadie, I need to hear that about everyday. I am getting more and more nervous all the time, so that really means so much. You are the cutest little momma. I love reading your blog.
I feel so blessed to have you in our lives (along with Thomas and Daniel) Good writing...thanks for sharing! Hugs!!
Post a Comment