Thursday, November 8, 2012
Storming Sandy
Remember I was secretly laughing the other day. I now feel bad.
This storm changed so many peoples lives.
The devastation is unbelievable and to many unimaginable.
I caught a tiny glimpse of the life changing experience.
Daniel was gone for the week and it was just the boys and I home.
I went to the store Monday morning in the pouring rain and loaded up and necessary supplies. water. non- perishable food. batteries for flashlights. candles and oil for a lamp. It was while we were getting gas for our car that I got nervous. The lines were starting to get long and everyone that I saw had red gas cans that they were filling up. Most likely for generators. I didn't have red gas cans or a generator. No one was rushing about in fear, just in awareness and in the spirit of being prepared. I decided that I would channel that spirit I was seeing from my fellow gas users, and use it throughout the day to become prepared.
We were told we would get rains that would flood and high winds that could knock out the power.
That day we got settled and cleaned and organized.
That night I had the boys sleep in my bed with me.
We slept soundly except that little wiggling boys aren't fun to sleep with.
We awoke to an eerily calm and overcast day.
We still had power.
We still had all of our trees.
We had an unexpected visitor.
After all of our preparing Thomas was devastated that he didn't even get to use his flashlights. I was absolutely grateful and felt overwhelming relief.
I sat and watched the news Tuesday morning, I was curled up with my boys and a fuzzy warm blanket and from the comfort of my own home I saw damage and sadness that I could only partially appreciate. I had only felt a tiny bit of anxiety the day before and knowing what that felt like to me and knowing that their anxiety and pain was multiplied by thousands broke my heart.
We spent the rest of the day snuggling on the couch watching Madagascar 3 snuggling and laughing. Two of my favorite things with two of my favorite people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment