Wednesday, March 26, 2014

TODAY



Dear Lewis,
Today I wanted to workout.  You wanted to read stories out of the Friend magazine.  You love the look and find games.  I think it is just so that you can use a permanent marker to circle the things you find.
Today I had things I needed to get done.  You kept saying, "But, I want you."
Today we went to playgroup.  You got locked in a closet in the basement.  I couldn't hear you.  When I came looking for you, you were crying and screaming and scared.
Today my heart broke when I found you like that.  I picked you up and held you tight to me and walked out of playgroup.  I listened to you sniffle the whole way home.
Today Daddy told you that it happens.  It happened to him.  I guess it is a rite of passage in childhood.  It helped you to feel better.
Today you fell asleep in my arms for the first time in a long time.  I didn't lay you down like I normally would have, so I could get things done.  I held you.  I watched your face relax as you fell into a deeper sleep.  I watched your sweet lips pucker.  I tried to hold you as tight as I could, hoping that the love from my heart would heal the hurt in yours.
I guess today was a rite of passage for me as a mom too.  It is hard to see you hurt.
Today we had a wrestling match.  You love flying on my feet in the sky.  Like Robin or Batman.
Today we found the baby wrap I used with you as a tiny babe.  You wanted to ride in it again.  We laughed as we pulled your big boy legs into the wrap.  You stayed in it while I vacuumed and then let me dance to John Denver.  You hugged me close the whole time and tapped your tiny fingers on my back.  You would stop every few minutes and look up at me, place your sweet hands on my face and kiss me with your puckered lips.  MELT MY HEART.
Today you took 1000 pictures with my camera.
Today you got to watch a movie with daddy.  Just you two.  Monsters University.
Today you went to daddy's basketball game.  You get so excited.  You love jumping off of the bleachers and running super speedy fast.  You love drinking out of the drinking fountain and love that you are tall enough to do it all by yourself.  
Today was a big day.
Today was full of ups and downs.
Today was full of love.  Kisses.  Hugs.
Today I LOVE YOU.
Today I am grateful for Today.
xox-  Momma





3 comments:

Tami said...

What an experience for Lewis! So sad. Snuggles after events like that are so needed... for both the kid and the mom!

Unknown said...

I saw your blog through Suzy's holmans and I think it was inspired because I loved this post!! Soo sweet. I'm a mom to two boys too and trying to learn to just enjoy them is really the key to happiness. Thanks!! :)

Www.rachaelmulder.blogspot.com

Lydia Story said...

I love this post. So nice to see your optimism and happiness in the ups and downs of motherhood. Thank you!