Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Thunder Cake
Today was an overcast, stormy, thunder cake kind of day.
Thomas, Lewis and I stayed in our pajamas all day.
We only went outside to check the mail and throw away the garbage. (yes in our pajamas)
We read books.
Watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
Played dominoes.
Painted pictures and wrote daddy love notes.
Sword fought.
Sang songs.
The usual overcast, stormy, thunder cake kind of day activities.
"What is thunder cake?" one might ask.
I would then reply, "Thunder cake is a book written by Patricia Polacco. It tells about her memory of the summer storms that would roll in and a yummy chocolate cake that her grandma use to make when she was a little girl to help her overcome her fears of thunder."
It is a book that I grew up reading and I love. It is about memories and cake! Need I say more.
Not only did we stay inside because it was an overcast and stormy day and read this book, but when the wind started blowing and the clouds started rolling in we decided to make the very cake from the book.
That is why today was an overcast, stormy, thunder cake kind of day.
Daniel came home this evening with good news and the thunder cake was the perfect way to celebrate!
Maybe you too will find the perfect opportunity to have a thunder cake day. It was a deliciously relaxed and enjoyable day!
Thunder Cake
Cream together, one at a time
1 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs separated (blend yolks in. beat whites until they are stiff, then fold in.)
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup pureed tomatoes
Sift together
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup dry cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Mix dry mixture into creamy mixture.
Bake in two greased and floured 8 1/2 inch round pans at 350 degrees fro 35-40 minutes. Frost with chocolate butter frosting. Top with strawberries.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
1/3 cup pureed TOMATOES?!?!?! IN A CAKE?! in all my years I have never heard of that.
are you sure thats what its supposed to be?!
morgan
Dear Thomas,
I am coming to play very soon. I hope you're ready for me and Grandmary.
Love,
Lise
I hope I grow up to be a mom like you! How fun!
Post a Comment