Friday, September 24, 2010

Sleep and Moments of Motherhood


Last night I climbed into bed just after 10.
Lewis had been awake all evening and just fallen asleep.
I was sure that he would sleep for a few hours and I was ready to get some sleep.  
I read a few pages of my book and then quickly dosed off to sleep. 
Only to be waken up at 11 by a hungry Lewis.  
I was so angry.  Not at Lewis.  Just at the fact that I was not sleeping.  
Ask Daniel.  I was angry.
After feeding my hunk of love I laid him down and quietly hurried into bed.  
As soon as I dosed off I heard Thomas at my bedside.  With his pillow and blanket in hand I honestly don't know what he said, I could only muster up enough energy to tell him to climb into bed with us.  
After him rolling around for an hour I finally picked him up and took him into his room.
As soon as I laid my head down I heard Thomas cry out.  His blanket wasn't on just right.  Then he needed a drink.  Then he didn't know what he needed he just couldn't sleep and wasn't going to let me sleep either.  
It was now 1 in the morning and I was climbing into bed for the fourth time.  
Only to wake up to Lewis needing to eat at 2.  
I sat in my bed feeding Lewis and my heart was full of anger.  I couldn't believe that I was still awake and the worst part is that my night had just begun.  It wasn't going to get any better.  I knew that the rest of the night was going to be very similar.  I also knew that tonight and tomorrow night and the night after were going to be similar which only made me more mad.  
As I carried Lewis back to his crib my anger suddenly went went away and I had this overwhelming sense of LOVE.  
A feeling of LOVE for being a mother to two sweet little boys that I do LOVE with all of my heart.  
It is times like these when I am reminded why I do everything that I do for them.  Times like these that I live for and make being a mother worth all of the sacrifices.  
I LOVE them so much that I  literally sacrifice all of my sleep for them.... but I can't promise that I won't get angry in the middle of the night (or afternoon).

5 comments:

Josh and Lyndi Smith said...

So been there...last night Gemma woke up every hour tossing and turning and finally threw up at 6:00 am. After dropping her off in the tub and stomping to the laundry room with the pukey sheets in dis-belief of how badly the night had gone, I thought about how Gemma couldn't help it and then I lotioned her, wrapped her tight and we both feel asleep, thankful we had each other :)

Unknown said...

way to make me cry sadie! how time does change things though, so just hang in there with the newborn stage it's almost past. which can be bitter sweet :)

Kurt and Michelle said...

I totally know how we get when we don't get our sleep, sometimes I cry, or am angry, or just delirious:) I wish I lived closer to you, I want to be there right now!! Love you, I hope you try to get some sleep!

Andrea said...

I have definitely had several of these nights myself. I too get angry when my sleep gets interrupted. You are such a good example to me of a loving mother! Thanks for reminding me what's important

Brittany and Everett said...

Wow reading this was a flash back to when Des was just tiny and new. I remember one night being full of so much anger as I sat there nursing him after a night of no sleep and dealing with his collic. Hang in there Sadie! You are such an amazing mom!