Sunday, October 3, 2010

Each Life

A few days ago I got to talk to a really good friend of mine on the phone.
I haven't talked to her in person in over a year.
We chatted about our children, being moms, pregnancy, and life in general.
I was so happy and rejuvenated afterwards.
I am so lucky to be her friend.
It made me think of the song.... Each life that touches ours for good....

Then I thought about how I come into contact with people all day long that touch my life for good.
At the park, at church, the grocery store even Wal-Mart of all places.
For example.  I was at Wal-Mart about a week ago getting boring but essential things like diapers, toothpaste, and shavers.  I had both of the boys with me and it was almost nap time.
They had been really good but like I said before it was almost nap time.  They were on their last straw.
We were standing in the line and my card wasn't working.  The strip on the back is worn out.
After the 6th time of trying to swipe it I told her that I could write a check.
By this time Lewis was hungry and starting to cry.
Everyone started staring and I became self conscious as I felt their glances on me.
Then Thomas decided he was going to climb out of the cart and push the buttons on the card machine.
As I tried to calm Lewis, write my check so I could get out of there I reached for Thomas and as I did a lady next to me in line gently grabbed Thomas and in a clam and grandmotherly tone told him that he could fall and get hurt as she sat him down in the cart.
I finished writing my check and as I walked out of the store with my purchases I turned to her and thanked her for helping me.
She smiled at me and and said, "Honey, we have all been there."

This lady who I have never met before became my lifesaver that day.  She was calm.  She saw a person in need and she wasn't afraid to help.  She was the life that touched me most that day.  She taught me a lesson and I am better because I came in contact with her for only a brief moment.  Just like the brief contact that I had with my dear friend yesterday whose laugh helped to rejuvenate me.  My day was better.  I was better because her life touched mine for good.

6 comments:

Kenzie - Ryan - Livee- Emmeline said...

I have been in that position a lot! And it is always so nice when people help me. I am sorry I never called you back that day. I was in Rexburg for that week and I was going to call you the next week but we are always doing something or other. I really want to get together soon though. My niece is getting baptized this weekend so I am leaving Wednesday morning to go there but maybe tomorrow or Tuesday or next week? Your boys are so cute and we are in the same stage in life so lets get together.

C & S said...

Hey Sadie! I have to admit that Colt and I have been to your blog a few times too! lol It is so fun to see where everyone is and what they are up to. Funny story, so your husbands parents were in our ward when we were in Rexburg. I guess his parents and my parents knew each other in high school or have been friends of some sort. Small world. :) Colt and I looked at your blog last night and he can't believe how fast your kids have grown up. He said your oldest looks like your little brothers. :) I'm so glad you found our blog, I hope you don't mind if I add your blog to our friend list! You have a beautiful family by the way!

Kurt and Michelle said...

Sade, I hope that you had an awesome birthday, I missed not being with you on your special day. Hopefully you got my text message, if not I will call you later anyway. Lewis is so handsome and growing up so fast. I am always grateful for those sweet grandmothers who are helpful, I can usually use all the help I can get, especially at the store:) We will be in Salt Lake for about a week, starting the 10th, I know it is a ways away from you but I am going to see if maybe Allie and I could drive down and see you one day while Kurt is in meetings, love you!

Kylie said...

Sadie, you are great. Thanks for making my life better this morning. :) You know I don't hate comments!

Aubrey said...

Love you Sade and your positive outlook on life!

Unknown said...

Great story Sadie, it inspired me to be a better person!