Last night we had a special back to school dinner for Daniel. (Today was his first day back)
I decided I would pull out the books and make him something special.
On Saturday I carefully flipped through the pages. Treating each page as if it was scripture.
I took it all in as I searched for the perfect meal to make him.
I dreamed that I was at a famous in market in France instead of at the local Wal Mart in Utah as I searched the aisles for the perfect ingredients.
I wanted to take in the whole experience, so that my journey to becoming a great chef would be legit.
I wanted to learn to cook food the proper way. Not just so that it is edible.
I wanted to be in control of the food. The master. Not have my food be in control of me.
I wanted to not eat food just to survive I wanted to learn to savor and enjoy each morsel.
On the menu: Artichokes with hollandaise sauce.
Baked potatoes with garlic butter
Panfried Steak with bouillon gravy
Orange Cream Sodas
A perfect Daniel dinner.
As I started my dinner on Sunday evening I was very optimistic that this would be the best meal ever. I had on my apron and I had all of my ingredients ready and prepared so they would be ready when needed. I had my book open and I had read and reread each recipe so that I knew most of the steps by heart.
I put the potatoes in the oven, prepared the artichoke and started boiling it, made the garlic butter and my spirits were still high. Even if my sink was beginning to fill with dishes. I hadn't burned anything yet and I felt on top of the dinner. Then I started on the hollandaise sauce. Nothing that she said was suppose to happen, happened. It was a failure from the beginning. Then on to the steaks. I placed them on the hot pan and instantly they curled up. "Seriously" I didn't know that steak could do that. I rolled them around the pan as I tried to cook them evenly.
Daniel said that things could of been a lot worse. I agree they could have.
I just had such high hopes of being the next MASTER and this wasn't the best start.
As I talked to my sister on the phone and told her about my failed attempt, she asked me if I was wearing pearls.
I had forgotten to wear pearls. I now know why my hollandaise sauce didn't turn into a thick cream. I now know why my steak curled into balls. I had forgotten to wear pearls and I quickly decided that the answer wasn't to stop because I failed. I just realized that I am a young mother of 2 and right now might not be the time in my life to Master the Art of French Cooking. It is just that. An Art that takes more time than I get to devote on dinner each night. For now I will stick to my few staples that are fail proof and tasty within minutes. And save my "pearls" for another special occasion.




3 comments:
Oh man. That was funny. Kudos to you for trying. That dinner sounds really good even if the steaks curled up like a ball. :) haha. Love you guys!
nice try! yum! i am a freak about reading cook books too, and trying everything. and it is the WORST when something doesn't turn out perfect. don't let it get you down-start fresh with the next night!
ever heard of ina garten? i.love.her.
check her out if you have never.
Amen...Amen!
Post a Comment